Thousand Oaks, Westlake Village and Agoura Hills, CA
As an adult, each of us is responsible for caring for and maintaining our health. You may not realize it, but the health of your teeth and mouth can have ramifications throughout your body. In fact, your dentist may be able to identify symptoms of certain conditions before they would become obvious to you or even your regular doctor.
Read on to see how your holistic dentists in Agoura Hills at Integrative Dental Arts can identify major health problems early on
- Cardiac disease: Did you know that gum disease could raise your risk of heart problems? The American Academy of Periodontology estimates that patients with periodontal disease are up to twice as susceptible to cardiac disease, as the infected plaque from the mouth and gums filters into the bloodstream, where it can accumulate in the cardiovascular system and form blockages in the arteries of the heart.
- Fertility problems: Past medical research has found that women who have gum disease have more difficulty becoming pregnant. Likewise, patients with periodontitis that do become pregnant have been found to have a higher risk of miscarriage or stillbirth. Meanwhile, men who have gum disease report higher incidences of infertility and erectile dysfunction. If you are pregnant, even if you good dental health at the time of conception, you should be extra diligent about your oral care while conceiving, as the hormonal changes that occur during pregnancy raise your risk of gum disease.
- Osteoporosis: Oral health problems such as gum disease and living with lost teeth cause the deterioration of the supporting bone structure. Any inflammation in the mouth caused by bacteria can make you more predisposed to developing osteoporosis. Making matters worse, certain medications to treat osteoporosis actually can diminish bone density of the jaw even further.
- Pulmonary disease: Did you know that lung diseases like COPD and even pneumonia can be affected by the spread of bacteria in the mouth? When you breathe through your mouth due to congestion, for example, you are inhaling those germs into your lungs. Also, chronic pulmonary ailments and periodontal disease both are related to and cause inflammation.
- Diabetes: Gum disease and diabetes are linked; having one of those ailments increases your risk factor of developing the other. Just as with pulmonary diseases, diabetes causes inflammation, and any source of inflammation increases the entry of bacteria into the bloodstream.
Protect your oral health, and overall health, in Agoura Hills
Ongoing research even has suggested a possible link between the health of one’s mouth, and the increased risk of chronic conditions such as Alzheimer’s and stroke. And statistics show that individuals with healthy periodontal tissue are less likely to develop these chronic health conditions. At Integrative Dental Arts, our dentists Dr. Kathleen Carson and Dr. Cristina Markiewicz believe the mouth is the gateway to the body.
Care for your mouth and teeth, and they will take care of you. Do your part by brushing twice per day, flossing daily, using an alcohol-free mouthwash rinse, and seeing your dentist every six months for a check-up that should include a cleaning and an examination of your teeth and mouth. We also conduct a thorough exam for new patients that also includes a comprehensive review of your medical and dental health histories. To learn more about our services or schedule a new patient exam, call our office at (818) 889-0400.
Integrative Dental Arts is proud to serve patients in the areas of Agoura Hills and Westlake Village in southern California.