Thousand Oaks, Agoura Hills and Westlake Village, CA
Are you an adult with crowded or crooked teeth? Do you have an overbite or underbite? These are common issues that can lead to breathing or spinal alignment issues, specifically the C-1 and C-2 upper cervical complex.
With growth guidance for adults, orthodontists in Agoura Hills at Integrative Dental Arts can use a specially made appliance to reach profound results that significantly reduce or eliminate these oral health concerns – and do so without the use of traditional orthodontics. The purpose of the appliance is to stimulate the jaw bone’s potential for continued growth and guidance as it develops a more forward horizontal position that may improve the look of your cheek bones, nose, lower jawline definition, eyes, and smile.
What is the difference between facial development orthodontics and traditional orthodontics?
Traditional orthodontics aims to straighten teeth and bring them into proper alignment. Often times, premolar extractions are necessary to make room for teeth to be straightened. And, if there is a pronounced overbite in which the top teeth significantly protrude past the lower teeth, the upper teeth are pulled back into alignment, but the treatment does nothing for encouraging jawbone growth, which significantly impacts these important factors:
- Nasal breathing
- Lip seal
- Oral resting posture of the tongue
These three components are essential in the development and harmony of the craniofacial structure. With growth guidance for adults, we can correct disharmonies that formed during your developmental years as a child, improving not only the look but the performance of your craniofacial structure. This orthodontic technique is ideal for both children and adults. The idea behind it is that the appliance helps guide the jaws to their true genetic potential.
Due to our Western diet, genetics, and negative oral behaviors as children such as thumb sucking and prolonged use of the bottle or sippy cup, the jaw often becomes underdeveloped, which may result in an underbite or an overbite, as well as crooked or crowded teeth. These common issues are something that growth guidance can correct, all without the need for extensive orthodontics and tooth extractions!
What are the goals of facial growth orthodontic treatment?
The main goals of facial growth orthodontic treatment are to reestablish these three important components:
- Nasal Breathing: If you have been a mouth breather, this treatment can help train you to breathe through the nasal passages, which means your body will get the proper amount of oxygen that it needs.
- Proper Lip Posture: Mouth breathing results in an open mouth at all times, which can affect how your jaws develop. This orthodontic technique will train you to hold your mouth properly with your lips sealed while breathing through the nose.
- Corrects Oral Posture: The tongue should rest gently against the roof of the mouth. If it is not, then the upper palate is likely to develop in a narrow fashion, which often leads to crooked or crowded teeth. Forward growth guidance will correct this tongue posture.
How does the appliance work?
We use either a removable or fixed appliance that fits comfortably against the roof of your mouth. Your palate has a major nerve that runs through it, and the appliance puts just enough pressure against this nerve to stimulate growth, remodeling the jawbone and the development of your face’s midsection.
Other noticeable changes include:
- Overall facial changes
- More pronounced cheekbones
- Increased ability to nasal breathe
- Defined jawline (no more “turkey neck!”)
- Straightened nose (upturned nose will straighten)
- Develop a broad yet beautiful smile with straight teeth
Facial growth guidance in the Agoura Hills area is far less invasive than traditional orthodontics, and it addresses the root of the issue, which is the development of the jawbone. Our bodies are an amazing phenomenon, and we are excited to offer this alternative orthodontic treatment in Agoura Hills. To learn more, please contact Integrative Dental Arts by calling (818) 889-0400 to schedule a consultation.
Integrative Dental Arts welcomes patients of Agoura Hills and Westlake Village.